Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Final Project Artist Statement

For my final project, I chose death as my big idea. Instead of focusing on the many forms of death, I decided to illustrate death as an ever present being inside each one of us. I was very influenced by this image:
ImageShack, share photos, pictures, free image hosting, free video hosting, image hosting, video hosting, photo image hosting site, video hosting site

This image depicts death as almost universal, and I believe that it is. It is present somewhere inside each one of us and waits for the right moment to show itself. I liked the transparency of death because it gives the feeling that death is both present and absent at the same time. In my two images, I use this transparency to show death.

In my images, I try to show the different sides of death. In one of them, death is almost like a predator that can only be seen in the reflection, waiting inside its prey until the time is right. In the other image, I try to show death as a universal entity, as the person is only silhouetted and his identity can only be seen in the reflection. The different illustrations of death can also be seen in the colors of the images. The black and white reflection in the first image is largely inspired by Gustave Dore's works. I used the water reflection technique in both of my images.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the mirror image you created. I think this is a piece of artwork that everyone can identify. your final project shows great depth and much detail on the issue of death. the techniques you used were also done with skill. great work!

    ReplyDelete